He will sit by Court 1 or Court 3. So making sure the team has pretty much our gear for the entire year, so we look uniform as a team going over there and represent Drexel the best we can. CoBL: When youre not in basketball mode, what do you like to do for fun? For his efforts, Spiker was named 2012-13 Patriot League Coach of the Year, the first Army head coach in eleven years to win the award. The Director of Basketball Operations, also known as the DOBO, is the main man behind the scenes, with tasks ranging from scheduling practices to coordinating travel and class schedules and more. This was consistent with Drexels message all season. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Davis, Maximus Dont just send a text, dont just send an email, but walk across campus and meet the person that youre going to want to have a recruit meet with, like I make sure I walk down to the business office every day -- and its in the DAC, so its not like Im going far -- but I touch the people who affect our players in direct and indirect ways in school and recruiting, and I learned that at Hobart. On March 25, 2016, Spiker was hired as head coach of Drexel to replace former head coach Bruiser Flint. here for you as soon as you turn 13. CoBL: Take me back a little bit. Josh Verlin The DAC includes a swimming pool, five squash courts, a golf center, and a gymnasium. Not only that, you can choose the level of competition that best suits you and your personal comfort level. Staff Directory Members By Category/Department; Name Title Email Address @LATech.edu Twitter; Talvin Hester: Head Coach bulldogbasketball@latech.edu: Computer Software and Media Applications. Get Recruited. I was born in Yonkers, New York, grew up in Brewster, New York, just a small town. Chavis, Paul NCSA College Recruiting (NCSA) is the nations leading collegiate recruiting source for more than 500,000 student-athletes and 42,000 college coaches. CZ: I guess now that, Im 45when I first started my basketball journey, I was an assistant at Roanoke College in Virginia, Division III school, and then got my masters and went up to Hobart College in upstate New York and then was out at Hargrave Military Academy for six years and always thought that hey, I want to on the road recruiting and I want to do all that stuff and as I went to the Hoop Group and spent 10 years at the Hoop Group, I realized that I have a lot of great connections and a lot of things can help in recruiting, but I dont want to be on the road recruiting, Id much rather be taking care of the organizational stuff and the stuff behind the scenes. Pat Kelsey was named the 24th all-time head men's basketball coach at the College of Charleston on March 25, 2021. I tried out for the team, didnt make the team; coach Page Moir, who was a great influence in my life, was the head coach and I said coach, i want to be part of the program, what can I do? and he said you can be a manager, and I said great. I was a manager for both varsity and JV and spending five or six hours a day in the gym during the season. I dont know. A native of Morgantown, West Virginia, Spiker played college basketball at Ithaca College. CoBL: Youd spent the previous 10 years with the Hoop Group, primarily as the Skills Camp director. Events Our John A. Daskalakis Athletic Center also known as the DAC is the official home of Drexel Athletics. Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach 215-895-0559 215-895-0559: Belle Koclanes: Assistant Women's Basketball Coach 215-895-1971 215-895-1971: Kayla Bacon: Coordinator of Strategic and Player Development . Most of Drexels players were seen kneeling during the national anthem prior to their NCAA Tournament game against Illinois to protest social injustices. Gannon, Chris Kelly, Nick Division I I really only was asked to plug in the projector. Conference tournament champion. Beilein notes that he didnt know he was hiring the son of the football trainer when he interviewed this graduate assistant from Winthrop for an administrative assistant job. Not a big runner so Im not running anywhere, but Ill definitely bike or walk somewhere. Season-by-Season Records. Additional essential staff include: to build a profile. At many programs, the Director of Basketball Operations is a younger coach-in-waiting, someone whos looking to move up the chain to eventually run his or her own program, or move into administration and aim to become an Athletic Director. Hide/Show Additional Information For Lamar Oden, Jr. Hide/Show Additional Information For Hubert Bayigamba, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jamie Bergens, Hide/Show Additional Information For Shane Blakeney, Hide/Show Additional Information For Kobe MaGee, Hide/Show Additional Information For Justin Moore, Hide/Show Additional Information For Dean Wang, Hide/Show Additional Information For Garfield Turner, Hide/Show Additional Information For Luke House, Hide/Show Additional Information For Cole Hargrove, Hide/Show Additional Information For Mate Okros, Hide/Show Additional Information For Amari Williams, Hide/Show Additional Information For Yame Butler, Hide/Show Additional Information For Terrence Butler, Hide/Show Additional Information For Max Davis, Hide/Show Additional Information For Maximus Fuentes. [1][2] He was previously the head coach at Army. For me, my biggest challenge is trying to figure out how to get our day camp numbers up, because I dont think parents like to come into the area to drop off and pick up, outside of our Drexel parents, but the staff here is great. Dont just send a text, dont just send an email, but walk across campus and meet the person that youre going to want to have a recruit meet with, like I make sure I walk down to the business office every day -- and its in the DAC, so its not like Im going far -- but I touch the people who affect our players in direct and indirect ways in school and recruiting, and I learned that at Hobart. The 45-year-old is in his third year with Drexel, his first gig of any kind at a Division I school, after having worked for The Hoop Group for a decade prior as well as gaining some experience at the Division III level. Kennedy's Korner. I dont play golf enough, but I enjoy playing golf. (Yes, the same Gregg Marshall who got blown out this season at Wichita State after charges of abusing his players. The official staff directory for the Drexel University Dragons Skip To Main . I can also look at [old] practice plans, right in front of me. Zachary John Spiker (born September 30, 1976) is an American college basketball coach and the current head basketball coach for the Drexel Dragons.A native of Morgantown, West Virginia, Spiker played college basketball at Ithaca College. I actually delivered to ZZ Top, I delivered to the managers and they had the same beards. The official staff directory for the Bucknell University Bison. I think every job has a challenge; I enjoy it. If every stop has lessons, Spiker is a mental pack rat. He was hired on April 9, 2015, after five seasons as the head coach at Army. Dont try to outsmart fate. Arts, Entertainment, and Media Management. Thats just how I was born but I feel like I serve our kids really well, who are here, and helping them, whether its taking care of them or taking care of the locker room or helping them with different things and developing that relationship than I would any other way. Get Exposure with college programs. And my personality, I dont dwell on my challenges, I look at them as opportunities, wherever it comes up in a roadblock for me. But I made a notebook., He kept sheets of paper, then later sent them off to a printer to be bound. I kind of locked myself in a closet off my bedroom, ordered a bookcase to put in there., With Beilein, he said, I was in a lab really. If all of us people could take a step back and think about what our players have experienced in the last year emotionally, social injustice, the emotion of a very intense [presidential] election, and then you mix in a pandemic, Spiker said. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. 2021-22 Quick Facts. When I first took the job, the smartest thing I ever did was I sat down with. ] Staff Directory Members By Category/Department; Name Title Email Phone; Amy Mallon: Head Women's Basketball Coach amymallon@drexel.edu: 215-895-1937 215-895-1937: Stacy Weiss: Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach slm45@drexel.edu: 215-895-0559 215-895-0559: Belle Koclanes: Assistant Women's Basketball Coach mck337@drexel.edu CZ: This is where I want to be. There might be a better connection, or it might be me adapting to the times.. 2022-23 Women's Basketball Roster Go To Coaching Staff Print Roster Layout: Choose A Season: Sort By: Footer 2023 Penn State Nittany Lions / 1-800-NITTANY Privacy Policy Terms of Service. I think weve got a locker room where were pretty open and upfront about things, Spiker said. I love walking around and exploring the city, I like walking Kelly Drive, Martin Luther King and just taking in Philly. Kelsey brought in nearly an entirely new roster in his first campaign with a young core and just two returnees in 2021-22. I was running the camp and he was the GA for Gregg Marshall, and we laughed about it, we had fun with it and we kept in touch. they can save time and money, get ahead and give back. Wheres the other basketball? (Son of a trainer.). Find out what coaches are viewing your Koclanes, Kayla Tag(s): CZ: Theres two. profiles were viewed 4.1 million times by college coaches in 2021. He was previously the head coach at Army.He attended The Hill School.. The 45-year-old is in his third year with Drexel, his first gig of any kind at a Division I school, after having worked for The Hoop Group for a decade prior as well as gaining some experience at the Division III level. Had he tried to bring you on his staff before? Due to federal privacy regulations, we are not able to create an athlete profile for students under 13 years old. Cellular Biology and Anatomical Sciences. Along the way hes worked with future NBA talent, beaten cancer, delivered pizzas to celebrities and more. And the other one is I delivered to Robbie Knievel, and he was supposed to do a show in Roanoke and two days earlier he got drunk or something stupid and got arrested and he had his thing pulled, so I delivered pizzas to him at the Holiday Inn at Roanoke. I didnt want to commit a violation., (A gift from a college coach to the coach of a player headed to West Point was the issue. This was an issue for Marshall. From the applicant pool, Spiker, the Army head coach at the time, had Zillmers quick attention, partly because the AD had deep family roots up at West Point. Williams, Yame Men's Basketball - Coaching Staff; Image Name Title; Zach Spiker: Head Men's Basketball Coach: Will Chavis: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Paul Fortier: I actually delivered to ZZ Top, I delivered to the managers and they had the same beards. Mallon, Stacy As a D1 university in Philadelphia, our Dragons have the opportunity to face off against rivals from across the country in basketball, wrestling, field hockey, and more. Copyright 2023 Drexel University. Drexel Chris Zupko (above) has been Drexel's director of basketball operations for the last two seasons. Extra years of eligibility will be. Spiker kept that from him, but Beilein does remember West Virginias radio announcer being very enthusiastic about Spiker. The Assistant Coach of the Drexel University Men's Basketball program is Will Chavis. [1] Sam Cozen won 213 career games as head coach between 1952 and 1968, the second most in the school's history behind Bruiser Flint. Donohue, Chris Theyll jab their boss: Are we wasting our time here?, Beilein spills about Spiker on the recruiting trail. Here you'll have access to specifics on the school and information on their Men's Basketball program like who to contact about recruiting, names of past alumni, what scholarship opportunities are presented and how to begin the recruiting process. ), Meyer, on that Winthrop staff, said Marshall was a tremendous leader.. Jennings, Jason Zachary John Spiker (born September 30, 1976) is an American college basketball coach and the current head basketball coach for the Drexel Dragons. Brooks, Drew Those are kind of the highlights of things I like to do. It was funny, the other drivers wanted me to ask can we get your motorcycle out, can you jump some cars for us? I didnt do it, but I was tempted to. The team has had 26 head coaches in its history, and they have made 4 appearances in theNCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship, including a first round victory in 1996. Were sorry, you have to be 13 years old Drexel's Coaching Staff. If you're receiving this message in error, please call us at 886-495-5172. If you're hoping to get recruited it is critical to know who to build a relationship with - and NCSA has got the details you'll need. His story CoBL: Youve got your first international trip with Drexel this month, going to Australia. I mean Larry Bird called,' Zillmer said. I was a volunteer assistant for two years afterwards, and to make money I delivered pizzas for Dominos, which was a fun experience. View Full Bio, Coletrane Hendrixson, Momo There were papers all over the house. Had delusions of grandeur about playing Division III basketball; went down to Roanoke and realized that I wasnt good enough, which was okay. CZ: I recently bought a bike, so I like riding. CUSA TV. Previously, he served as head coach at Oklahoma State, Stephen F. Austin, Dodge City Community College, and Daytona Beach Community College and assistant coach at Western Illinois, Kansas State, and South Carolina . Scott-Grayson, Ben There is no additional information to display. Division regular season and conference tournament champion There is no additional information to display: Valentine, Maura The conversations with players were held individually to learn more about one another. Management Sciences and Quantitative Methods. [Oversee] the health and safety of the kids, order our gear and guess how many campers we were going to have and what size shirts and try to be within a ballpark where were not overspending, manage a budget. Spiker also had an interesting background before Army, including as Steve Donahues Cornell assistant for an NCAA Sweet 16 run. School operates transportation around campus. @PatKelsey. Assistant Women's Basketball Coach. Cornells Sweet 16 team emerged from those trips. Makeup still matters. Jenkins, Imo Not a big runner so Im not running anywhere, but Ill definitely bike or walk somewhere. Men's Basketball - Coaching Staff; Image Name Title; Billy Taylor: Head Men's Basketball Coach: Greg Herenda: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Josh Gross: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Ryan Saunders: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach: Luke Boythe: Director of Men's Basketball Operations: Oden, Jr. Hubert Beilein told Zillmer that Spiker was going to think of this as a problem-solving situation, creativity required. All successful, all vastly different. Coordinator of Strategic and Player Development. Spiker took that as: One, you didnt listen. Drexel players kneeled for most of the 2020-21 season. 2) (April 28-30), 2023 Hoop Group Spring Jam Fest: Day Three Standouts (Pt. Do my guys even know?. Spiker might not have been Larry Birds candidate, but Zillmer talked to John Beilein, then Michigans coach, who had Spiker as his administrative assistant when Beilein first got to West Virginia. In the meantime, we'd like to offer some helpful information to kick start your recruiting process. Gannon, Rich He saw athletes have their highs and lows. Butler, Max Its not my job to run the [AD] search. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. All rights reserved. And Im a Jets fan at heart but looking forward to going to Eagles games, going to a preseason game, Phillies concerts, I enjoy what Philly has to offer, its an awesome town to be in and live in. If you're up to the challenge, members of the University's Club Teams compete against other local colleges and universities. Im proud of our guys and I support our guys in how they choose to express themselves.. Conversation eventually veered toward Drexels NCAA seed and plausible opponents. Had delusions of grandeur about playing Division III basketball; went down to Roanoke and realized that I wasnt good enough, which was okay. The Assistant Coach of the Drexel University Men's Basketball program is Will Chavis. Twitter. And the Hoop Group was tremendously supportive and helped me through it, I was able to work through it, as I said I was fortunate and blessed. 2022-23 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff. . Skip To Main Content Pause All . This was consistent with Drexel's message all season. Members of the Drexel basketball team pause for the national anthem before a first-round NCAA Tournament game against Illinois. Its six years May 4th. Head Basketball Strength & Conditioning Coach, John and Jinnie Chapel Achieve Center & Dragon Lounge, Student-Athlete Social Responsibility: Hazing, TicketSmarter - Official Ticket Resale Marketplace, Hide/Show Additional Information For Coletrane Washington. ), Know Your DOBO: Drexel | La Salle | Penn | St. Joes | Temple | Villanova. There is no additional information to display. By taking advantage of this extensive network, more than 92 percent of NCSA verified athletes play at the college level. He wasnt meant to be, but yeah, hed say, Well, theyre in a 2-3 zone, John Spiker said. And so some of that stuff doesnt seem like it translates but since managing our budget for Drexel mens basketball and making sure were staying within our guidelines for recruiting, travel, meals, ordering our gear, taking care of the locker room, all of that stuff to me carries over a lot. at 866-495-5172 to learn more. Taleghani. Bacon, Tessa Thats why its a hard question for me to answer, because Im not wired like oh, Ive got to deal with this or that, its like okay, well figure it out. And that comes from two things, that comes from the Hoop Group, Robs motto was figure it the bleep out, if you had an issue you had to figure it out, you cant rely on someone else to figure it out. Finally, under Spiker, Army had its first four-year streak of 15 plus wins (201216) since 192024. [Oversee] the health and safety of the kids, order our gear and guess how many campers we were going to have and what size shirts and try to be within a ballpark where were not overspending, manage a budget. I want to be doing what I do 25 years from now, I enjoy being around kids and having a positive influence on players lives, being able to share in their great moments. Youre in your office and the secretary tells you, Theres a Larry Bird on the phone, you want to talk to him? ' Zillmer said. Kovensky, Jamal I tried out for the team, didnt make the team; coach. Get Discovered by college coaches. Coaching Staff . Butler, Terrence Hyduke, Grace During the pandemic, Id look at some of those things. Title. Lakey, Chris Spiker tells about one prospective Dragon who ordered a Sabrinas specialty, the heaping portion of Challah French Toast stuffed with cream cheese, topped with bananas. Consent is not a condition of purchase. But Drexels coach pretty quickly said, Timeout, timeout. At the time, the Dragons were on a break, 8-7 at the time, after incremental improvement in Spikers first four seasons. I was diagnosed in October 2011. Radio, Television, and Digital Communication, Coed dorms, Sorority housing, Fraternity housing, Special housing for disabled students, Special housing for international students. I work besides Zach, Paul [Fortier], Justin [Jennings], Rob [ODriscoll], theyre great guys to be around. By submitting, you agree to receive personalized follow-up and marketing messages from NCSA by email, phone and automated text. at Penn and said whats your best practice, and how do you do this, and how do you do that? And a lot of it translates over into being organized and getting ahead of stuff. Hargrove, Mate This is where I want to be. It was funny, the other drivers wanted me to ask can we get your motorcycle out, can you jump some cars for us? I didnt do it, but I was tempted to. Spiker, Will Borcky, Tori I was diagnosed in October 2011. So they scoured the Midwest, joking about how theyd stop the car and drop off a coach in each town not too far, Donahue said, from how they actually did it. I guess now that, Im 45when I first started my basketball journey, I was an assistant at Roanoke College in Virginia, Division III school, and then got my masters and went up to Hobart College in upstate New York and then was out at Hargrave Military Academy for six years and always thought that hey, I want to on the road recruiting and I want to do all that stuff and as I went to the Hoop Group and spent 10 years at the Hoop Group, I realized that I have a lot of great connections and a lot of things can help in recruiting, but I dont want to be on the road recruiting, Id much rather be taking care of the organizational stuff and the stuff behind the scenes. Okros, Amari I had to do it a couple of times just to tick him off, Spiker said. Thats a lot for anybody to take in, especially a young person in the situation that our guys are in.. Essien, Jadin I recently bought a bike, so I like riding. He noted its still a joke between he and Spiker: Dont turn your back in camp.. Additional essential staff include: 96-acre, urban campus in Philadelphia. [] I dont think we have challenges on the basketball side. View Full Bio, Keishana Allison, Zack They were on a campus, Spiker pointed out, that looked like the Midwest. CZ: We met working a camp called Prep All-Stars, when he was a GA at Winthrop and it was probably 2000, 2001, and we had an interesting experience of having to clean up a mess at like two in the morning in the Coliseum. As competitive as the next coach and sometimes as verbally chippy as most after losses Spiker also keeps track of the wider world, and has been known to check in when he spots some suffering going on.
Safest Cities Near Knoxville, Tn, Famous Algorithm Or Coding Puzzle, 149th Field Artillery Ww1, Orientique Summer 2022, Articles D